Rendering the new beauty bar with SketchUp and Podium

I built the scene like a film set, so only half of the room was built, and the rest was left empty to position cameras and rendering lights. I quite enjoyed this approach as it meant I didn't have to worry about getting the whole room looking visually accurate,  It just had to look ‘right’ from the angles that the cameras would be at. Creating the spaces was relatively straightforward as it involves drawing shapes and using the extrude tool to bring them to life in a 3D space. Using Trimble's 3D Warehouse of user-generated content and models,  I was able to quickly import some essential elements such as furniture and products that would otherwise have spent several hours to make. I spend a lot of time trying different textures and elements and learnt how to import my own textures.

To render the images,  I used a SketchUp plug-in called SU Podium. It was fairly simple to use however took some mastering to get the exact look I wanted. It allows you to add lights into SketchUp and choose how materials reflected or refractive that light. This means you can place some spotlights in the ceiling, pick what direction they're pointing at and then select how reflective the floor or walls are to create the perfect look. Just like in the physical world, the final ambience of the room is dictated by the intensity and size of the lights. As I had nothing to refer the lighting intensity to, it was a process of trial and error to get the right look. The sky in Trimble SketchUp reflects a bluish tint onto the model which I was not aware of until rendering the image,  so I had to change the sky to a bright white to create a more balanced rendering. This took me a while to figure out and lots of online searching as I couldn't at first figure out why my models were coming out blue. Some of my renders came out highly overexposed as I turned up the lighting intensity too high.

After I rendered my scenes, I added further lighting and design elements in photoshop to create a more realistic look. I tried to add people into scenes to add more context for the scale of elements however it was hard to find people who were in there exact position I needed wearing the right type of clothing. I tried a couple of different angles and in the end went for a more symmetrical viewpoint . 

D&AD, Practice, UALAdam Marsh